Peritonsillar abscess is collection of pus between fibrous capsule of the tonsil and superior constrictor muscle.
Peritonsillar abscess usually develops as a complication of acute tonsillitis and caused by mixed aerobic and anaerobic organisms.
Peritonsillar abscess usually affects young adults.
Start by infection in the depth of one of the crypts ( usually crypta magna ).
General: fever, headache ,malaise.
Local: sore throat , severe dysphagia and odynophagia ,foetor Oris ,unilateral neck pain and referred otalgia.
General: fever, tachycardia,toxic facies.
Local: trismus, tonticollis
- Asymmetrical oedema and congestion of soft palate.
- Swelling above and lateral to the tonsil.
- Tonsil is displaced downwards and medially.
- Uvula is oedematous and pushed to the other side.
- Large,firm,tender jugulodigastric lN.
During stage of peritonsillar cellulitis :-
- parentral antibiotics.
- Antipyretics, analgesics.
- Bed rest.
- Adequate fluids , mouth wash.
During stage of peritonsillar abscess:-
- Incision and drainage.
- Parentral antibiotics.
– tonsillectomy should be done 4_6 weeks after peritonsillar abscess incision.